Thursday, January 14, 2010

Keenum staying, Sumlin staying...we think, Houston basketball wins


Thanks for the patience. I'm just returning back into the groove...


Well Cougar fans, things do seem to be looking up for both the football and basketball teams (okay, I said it seems to be "looking up" for the basketball team...I didn't say it was good).


Let's start with football:


For those of us (like me) how felt that we should have had a better defensive effort in 2009 (even with the youth and inexperience) we should be getting a different look in 2010. Defensive Coordinator John Skladany was let go (and I do wish him well) by Sumlin a week ago after another dismal defensive effort in the Armed Forces Bowl (UH finished as the 111th defense out of 120...HORRIBLE) and now the search is on for a new DC. Should have that position filled by the end of next week...


As expected, Case Keenum will forego the NFL draft and return for his senior season. A six-interception bowl game is no way to go out, and Keenum has his sights set on not only breaking NCAA passing records but leading Houston to a CUSA title and a possible BCS-busting run...


Kevin Sumlin still has not signed his contract extention...no, I don't know why. But if a coach was planning on leaving, he wouldn't be firing coaches (Skladany) and interviewing new ones. I think Sumlin is staying, but I think Cougar Nation will breathe a little easier once the papers are signed...


Recruiting class is STRONG...if Sumlin can pull the ultimate rabbit out of his hat and land Jackson Jeffcoat, the #1 rated PLAYER in this year's recruiting class...then wow...wow...


On the to basketball...'tis the season...


Senior guard Kelvin Lewis and junior forward Maurice McNeil each posted double-doubles to lead the University of Houston men's basketball team to a 75-65 win against Conference USA-rival UTEP on Wednesday night inside Hofheinz Pavilion. Aubry Coleman led all-scorers with 22 points and now has over 1, 000 points for his Houston Cougar career. CONGRATS!


The Coogs are now 2-1 in conference play, 9-7 overall. Maybe it's not a return to the glory days of Phi Slamma Jamma, but a win is a win. This team will struggle to reach 20 wins and are still a long...long...long shot for the NCAA tournament. Yes, there may be a little run, a good first and second round win the CUSA tourney, but no one thinks this team can overcome either Tulsa or Memphis to even reach the tournament final. But who knows...there's a reason the games are played on a court and not on paper...

No comments:

Post a Comment